Thursday, August 13, 2009

Dutch Courage & Flippantness

[Note: I intended to keep this private, but the reason for that decision is no longer necessary]

"The
phrase Dutch courage is a slang term for courage gained from intoxication by alcohol. It is synonymous with liquid courage."

Flippant (adjective) - treating serious matters with inappropriate light-heartedness or lack of respect

K Courage = 2 beers, 4 tequila shots, and an attitude that could care any less (flippant).

A conversation with JF revealed to me an aspect of my nature I never would think was a disadvantageous quality; yet, here I am writing to you (the reader), that selflessness can indeed be a disadvantage. And, JF's strategy was that I could handle it being an adult or a dick. Guess which option I chose.

****

The irony - the irony is that to be a dick, I had to resort to becoming a person I thought I had left in my past. A reactionary of sorts (shrugs) some might say. Yet, perhaps I should take heart that to return to that persona I needed an amount of alcohol I had not consumed in a long time. And, I was angry and flippant.

What was I angry about exactly? A person's behavior, whereby intimacy is achieved / understood through a revelation of one's emotions as elicited by remarks and comments that at times had a biting effect (of course, the person is just kidding). For example, person A says "xyz" and expects person B to respond with an "F U" - does this make any sense? Is it really necessary for bonding?

A point aside, I can understand the need for a person to see that an individual can "feel" and is being "real" - but what if I am not interested in putting the other person down, or coming up with something witty, funny, insulting as a throw-back. What if I simply see the situation as a meaningless attempt to goad at me, and do not wish to participate - does it, therefore, mean I do not wish to relate to this person or be real?

Perhaps, I've been there, done that & honestly am simply tired of it.











1 comment:

  1. You might enjoy Happy-Go-Lucky, if you haven't already. It is about being cheerful, and happy, and lighthearted, and thus, yes - ...flippant. because note the definition - "inappropriately lighthearted about serious matters.".. a definition loaded with subjective judgment. often doesn't do justice to the person's true intentions or disposition. the movie captures the idea pretty well.

    ReplyDelete