Friday, August 7, 2009

Taking Each Day As It Comes

This new practice of mine to take each day as it comes, not to over-think things, and to accept each and every moment for what it is... IS WONDERFUL. 

Each day has had its moment. And some days had more than others. 

For example, today I had the company of a playful greyhound who approached me on its morning walk. 

Yet, what about those moments that are not as "wonderful" to have to experience? I find I immediately ask myself to acknowledge the moment and assess what makes it not wonderful (i.e. uncomfortable, difficult, painful, anxiety-provoking). Once aware of the source of my discomfort, I address it. If it is myself being unreasonable (e.g., over-thinking), I nudge myself to stop. If it the actions of another that makes me feel so, I ask myself if I should address it to the attention of the person responsible - taking note of who this individual happens to be. On the other hand, it might require that I nudge myself to accept a more realistic assessment of the situation (and the person) rather then conclude using the one provided to me by my fears/anxieties. And, should it be something outside of my control, I nudge myself to shrug it off. Nudges... are important because this is after all starting as a practice, and it takes time before a practice becomes second nature. 




No comments:

Post a Comment