Sunday, August 2, 2009

Sarcasm

Sarcasm is a form of humor that uses sharp, cutting remarks or language intended to mock, wound, or subject to contempt or ridicule. ["Sarcasm usually requires a quick wit, and the ability to extract the minutest points of weakness in a conversation. So it is quite unlikely that it is the lowest form of humor as some would like to call it. " -http://www.sarcasmsociety.com -]

A dialogue with several friends and family members on the use of sarcasm or the "put-down" revealed that sarcasm in the hands of the right person, without ill-intent, and when directed at a person who can receive the jest is by all means an appropriate way of interaction between two people. More so, there are individuals who believe such repartee or verbal sparring only serves to strengthen the bond between said two people, and is not just a demonstration of one individual's (intellectual?) ability over the other. Yet, the use of sarcasm ("put-down"), as with all humor, requires the appropriate cues, knowledge, timing, and moderation in use. Plus, it helps to know your audience. 

Having grown up in a household known for its use of sarcasm, I came to believe that it was a perfectly appropriate way to connect with others outside my household. Very quickly I learned that I was wrong to hold on this belief. As my wit sharpened and my delivery became faster, even members of my household were quick to stop me or not to let me begin. Even my father began to chastise me with the line "Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." Stepping back, I would see how my words could have such a cutting effect, and I would be confused (did they not know my words were without ill-intent?). Very slowly, I had to learn to bite my tongue when a sarcastic turn of phrase popped in my mind; more often than not, I realized I was satisfied with simply pretending I did not "get" the sarcasm. Yet, here I am now - investigating the rules of sarcasm - wondering should I engage in this practice for the purpose of bonding.

Comments I enjoyed from reading the article I cite above: 

The problem with the written word is that with no verbal clues it can sometimes be difficult to tell whether a comment is sincere or sarcastic. Great article, by the way.
Adam, Leicester, UK


People are so sarcastic these days that if someone's not on the ball, they can often get the wrong end of the stick. 
Dan, Bristol


My ex used to think he was the greatest at sarcasm. Unfortunately, most of the time he was just actually being rude to me and couldn't understand why constant, never-ending sarcasm actually felt like abuse a lot of the time. That's why he's my ex.
K, London, UK


... 



No comments:

Post a Comment