Thursday, November 11, 2010

Oliver Sacks - In Person

The Contemplative Psyche: Sacks on Self

Dr. Oliver Sacks!

Last evening, I had the privilege (thanks to MR) to attend an interview with Dr. Oliver Sacks at the Free Library of Philadelphia.

It was like a dream come true - hearing a man whose writing, thoughts and ideas I greatly admire. To learn of his struggles and his ability to weave his love for medicine and writing inspires me. It gives me hope that one day I will be able to integrate my love for the observation of people and my desire to annotate my observations in fluid prose.

Yet, I felt there was a more important message at last night's event. That message being we are all capable of finding something to identify ourselves that is not our limitation. And that something (whatever it is we find in ourselves) will enable us to adjust and adapt to our limitation, possibly overcoming it.

No comments:

Post a Comment